Wednesday, August 19, 2009

summer vacation 2009

Whew. It was a whirlwind of a little trip. Each summer we frantically scramble for a vacation -always in August and no doubt always last minute. I guess you could say we are not the best planners, hence the 6 children, however we thrive under pressure and somehow it always works out.

This year the kids (all six) agreed to trade in their beach flip flops for some city sneakers. We decided on the Big Apple. Eight of us in one car for 11 hours! That was a little too much for the 17 year old son, he begged to go to his friends cabin instead. At first, i resisted the request and then i realized it was between him and my (extra) suitcase - I decided that the suitcase must stay - he could go to the cabin! Despite him not being there.....


we still had a great time



~here are a few of the moments that were captured ~






The streets of NYC are full of honking horns and at most intersections these signs are posted. I am guessing they are not really enforcing this ordinance.







I love this big bustling city.....so much excitement.. all day! all night! We caught a quick glimpse of the Naked Cowboy - however a bit too quick for my camera....




A glimpse of Flo Rida on the Today show.......she hit the flo, next thing ya know....Shawty got low low low low. Love that song.

My very favorite thing to do is people watch (aka creeping....so my kids say). There is no better place to creep (aka people watch) than in Central Park. and as I creeped I shot secret photos ( I apologize if you know the man with the towel on his head). Anyhow, I wonder? do these two men know each other? Could they be undercover for the NYPD? Or are they simply strangers sharing a park bench?





The streets of Harlem. Outside the Apollo Theater a tribute to Michael Jackson.


Of course, the kids had to test out the "Giant Piano" at FAO Schwartz.




Have you ever seen a huge bathtub full of BUBBLE gum? Where else, but NYC. This was one of the kids favorite places.... Dylan's Candy Bar.



A quick trip on Sunday morning to the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market.....




Everyone in NYC has their own style, look at this cutie serving up Mister Softee's







Taking a break after a long day.





Filming a scene of Ugly Betty, we spotted Vanessa Williams.......we screamed her name and she waved, but my camera wasn't quick enough for that shot!




There is seriously no pizza better than NY pie.....our favorite stop for pizza is John's Pizza. so incredibly delicious.
{Oh - don't mind the 8 year old princess who wishes to live in the peaceful mountains of Tennessee and have 8 children....NYC was a bit much for her! It took her a candy store, a doll store and a toy store to start enjoying the trip}

We slept to the sound of sirens and honking horns.

We rode buses, taxi's and subways.

We ate pizza, cupcakes, hot dogs and Mister Softee's.

We walked, we talked, we laughed and (some of us) cried.....(tennessee)

We shopped till we dropped...........but most of all

We loved the city that never sleeps.......the Big Apple and probably my most favorite city ever.

We LOVED New York City!!

3 comments:

Free Art Printables said...

That sounds like a really fun trip! Jen

Unknown said...

Oh wow, that sounds like SO MUCH FUN!!!! I LOVE NYC!!!!

What a great trip, I can really feel the energy you got from it...and how cool to see Vanessa Williams.

I love that song too!! Aren't we cool Mums!!

Love the bubble gum bath :)

Great post!

Jen from Windy Ridge said...

oh this post brings back wonderful memories on NYC. I can't wait to go back.

About Me

I have been very happily married to my "kindergarten sweetheart" for 20 years............well we actually didn't start dating until we were in our 20's...... Together we have 6 wonderful children. They are 17, 16, 15, 14, 10 and 8. Although, we have moved around often, I am hopeful that we are now settled back home in Michigan.